AMC Car Keys Replacement – All The Information Need To Get a New AMC Keys, Cost, Options, Tips & More.
We gathered all the information about replacement keys for AMC models including AMC Alliance GTA, Ambassador, AMX, Concord, Eagle, Encore, Gremlin, Hornet, Javelin, Marlin, Matador, Pacer, Rambler American, Rambler Classic, Rebel, Spirit.
Call Us 24 Hr: 844-399-5054
Quick access: click to get an answer!
Want to get some useful tips before you call a locksmith? Read out blog post Locksmith near me
What should you do when your AMC car key is lost and how to get a replacement:
- First, make sure you don’t have a spare key. Many of us put one away as a backup for when we lose our key. Take a deep breath and try to remember where it is.
- In addition, if you decided to call an automotive locksmith, remember to provide the exact year, make and model, e.g. “I lost my 1983 AMC Concord car keys, 1980 AMC Spirit regular key, 1983 AMC Eagle” etc. This is important so the locksmith can check if he or she has the right key blank.
- If you think you need a new ignition switch/ lock cylinder, first make sure you don’t simply need a new key. Changing the ignition for AMC cars is more expensive than buying a replacement key and it will mean that you will have one key for the doors and another for the ignition.
- When calling a dealer to get an AMC replacement key, ask if you can pick up the new key yourself, or whether you have to tow the car there. Because AMC cars are old, most dealers will not have codes on file. Therefore, changing the ignition or a replacement key by an automotive locksmith is your only option.
- In addition, if the key won’t turn in the ignition, mention if this is something that has happened for the first time or is an ongoing problem.
- Moreover, if you have previously changed the ignition cylinder, tell the locksmith or dealer as it may prevent them from cutting you a new key by code.
- Finally, make sure you have the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) of the car and relevant documents to show ownership of the car. The title certificate, registration papers, your ID and proof of insurance, etc.
AMC keys replacement near me – Things to remember before calling a locksmith or mechanic
Calling an automotive locksmith or a mechanic near your location when you need a key replacement is probably the most common thing to do. Based on your location, an automotive locksmith can come to you, or you may choose to tow the car to the dealer.
We outline a few points to remember, to help you save some time and money regardless of which option you choose:
- First, always ask for a quote. Describe the problem in detail and give the automotive locksmith all the details, even if you think they may not be relevant.
- Moreover, If the locksmith has all the details, it can speed up the process and make it more cost-effective. Remember to give them your exact location to prevent a long waiting period. It may also affect the price.
- In addition, tell the locksmith/dealer if the ignition was changed before, as far as you know. A previous ignition change may result in different keys for the ignition and doors.
- Most AMC models are very old and therefore key codes may not be available. Ask the locksmith if they can cut a key without a code.
- In addition, it’s important to have the VIN number available as the locksmith may need it.
- Finally, remember that for most AMC models, there is no need to tow the car to the dealer should you lose your car keys. You can try and call the AAA, or an automotive locksmith who should be able to make you a new car key on site.
FAQ Lost AMC Keys Replacement:
Q: AMC key replacement cost – How much does it cost to replace AMC key without the original? What is the average price?
A: In a nutshell, to replace an AMC key can cost anywhere between $80 and $250. The price you pay depends on several factors:
- The type of key
- The car’s year of manufacture
- The day of the week, the time of day (or night!) & your location
- Where you get the key replacement (dealer, automotive locksmith, online, etc.)
- Availability of the code to cut a new key
- Original ignition or not
Call Us 24 Hr: 844-399-5054
The type of key you had and the year the car was manufactured are probably the most important factors as they dictate which kind of key you need. As mentioned above, because no codes are available for AMC models anymore, it really depends on the type of key and ignition cylinder you have. Sometimes it may take an hour, sometimes it may be necessary to replace to whole ignition cylinder.
Therefore, it is hard to say and really depends on the locksmith or mechanic you choose. However, it is safe to say that since AMC models usually used RA3 & RA4 keys, it shouldn’t cost more than $350.
Call Us 24 Hr: 844-399-5054
Q: How long does it take to make a replacement key for 1983 AMC Spirit? I lost my original and have no spare.
A: Generally speaking, for a new AMC key the process should take about one to two hours, depending on if codes are available or not. Most chances codes arent available and therefore it may take a while (About 2 hours).
Q: How can I know if my AMC key had a chip in it? I understand that some keys need to be programmed in order to start the car?
AMC models are all non transponder keys. That means that no programming is necessary for these key.
There are two types of keys for AMC models. Below is an example of those keys:
Q: Can I get an AMC key replacement by VIN?
A: That depends on the year of manufacture of your car and the type of key you had.
The VIN gives AMC dealers or automotive locksmiths the option of accessing the key code on file to cut you a replacement key by code which makes the process very fast and easy. There are however two things to consider:
- AMC models are older than 10 years and therefore dealers won’t have code. There is a chance some mechanics can get those codes – do your research.
- Because AMC models are pretty old, there is a good chance that even if you find the code by VIN, it won’t be useful as probably the ignition has been changed before. Therefore, your safest choice would be to replace the ignition.
For more information click here
Call Us 24 Hr: 844-399-5054 or
Q: My 1982 AMC Spirit ignition key won’t turn and my wheel is locked. What is the reason and can you change my ignition for me? What should I do? How can I get a new AMC ignition switch and key?
A: There are a number of reasons why the ignition key won’t turn. The key may be worn out, or jammed; the ignition may be rusty, or its wafers broken. An automotive locksmith for AMC cars can determine the reason on site and solve the problem. We can help you in this scenario.
Remember that losing your AMC ignition key does not mean that you have to change the ignition.
For more information please visit: My ignition key won’t turn
Q: AMC key cutting – Who can cut a new key for my car? Can I get it done at any hardware store or should I go to an automotive locksmith or dealer? What is the procedure and how much does it cost?
A: There are mainly two different AMC keys: RA3 & RA4. Both keys are non transponder keys and can easily be cut at any hardware or locksmith store.
The problem is, however, to find a code to cut those keys so they will fit your ignition cylinder. You should try a locksmith or a mechanic. If none can get those codes for you, then you should replace the ignition and cut a new key for your new ignition.