Kia Niro Lost Car Keys Replacement Made Easy! All The Information You Need To Get a New Car Key. Cost, Type Of Keys, Where To Make a Duplicate and More.
Give Us a Call 24/7 and Get 10% Off All Kia Niro Lost Car Keys Replacement!
Call Now: 800-223-1453
Choose a Valuable Coupon:
Or Click to Get a New Key From Amazon:
In this article:
Kia Niro was introduced in 2017. This model has two versions and three types of keys:
Remote Key Fob: 2017-2018 – One type of remote.
Transponder Chip Key: 2017-2018 – One type of key.
Non Transponder Key: 2017-2018 – One type of key.
- Please keep in mind that some keys/remotes may look the same but they have different capabilities/frequencies/keyways and therefore it is important to have the right key/remote.
- Already have your key? Need programming instructions on how to program Kia Niro key? Click here for a step by step instructions!
Quick access: or go to FAQ:
Click on the type of key you had/ year below to get the most accurate information:
Already have a remote? Click HERE for programming instructions.
Kia Niro w/o Prox:
Already have a key? Click HERE for programming instructions.
Call Us Now: 800-223-1453
I lost my Kia Niro keys, have no spare, and need a replacement. How and where can I get a replacement key?
Generally speaking, you have three options:
- First, call an automotive locksmith that offers a mobile service for Kia Niro cars. We can help you with this option.
- Second, have your car towed to an official dealer.
- Third, order a key online and have the dealer or locksmith cut and program it (if necessary) for you.
A word of caution: The type of key you need will depend on the year and model of your Kia Niro. Therefore, the options on how to get a new key made and programmed depend on whether you need a remote, an intelligent FOB, push to start button, a transponder or a regular key.
Click here to see the type of keys for each model or select your car’s year of manufacture to get the most accurate information and options.
What should I tell the locksmith or dealer when I call for service?
First, make sure you have the exact year, make and model, e.g. 2018 Kia Niro w/o Prox.
In addition, write down the VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) of the car, which you will find on the left side of the dashboard near the mirror. (Click here for more information). This will help the locksmith or dealer verify the year, make and model of the car and the type of key you had and need to replace.
Moreover, it’s important to ask if you can come and pick up the key or if the car has to be present. With older models, codes may not be available and so on-site service is required to make a new key.
If you need to have the car towed to the locksmith’s shop or the dealer it will make the replacement more expensive.
Finally, make sure you can show ownership of the car by having the necessary documents. Its title certificate, your ID, and proof of insurance etc.
Q: Kia Niro key replacement cost – How much does it cost to replace a Kia Niro key if I don’t have the original? What is the average price?
A: Replacing a Kia Niro key can cost anywhere between $90-$400. The actual price depends on a number of factors:
- The type of key need
- The car’s year of manufacture
- The time of day (or night!) & your location
- Where you get a key replacement (dealer, automotive locksmith, online etc)
- Availability of code to cut a new key
- Original ignition or not
The type of key you had and the year the car was manufactured are maybe the most important factors as they determine whether you need a chip, intelligent fob, “push to start”, remote, regular “non-transponder” key. The newer the car, the better the key’s security features and you can expect to pay more than $250 for a replacement key. For more accurate pricing information Click here to see the type of key you need for your car model.
The price also depends on where you buy your replacement key. From the dealer, an automotive locksmith online. Click here to get a more detailed explanation.
Dealers may charge about 10%-15% less than a locksmith for a replacement key. However, most dealers will want you to tow your car to their premises to program the new key or remote, which makes the total price a lot higher.
In addition, if you call on a locksmith to come out and make you a new key outside regular business hours, the price is likely to be higher, so do ask in advance.
Finally, if your ignition cylinder was changed in the past (typically with older cars), this probably means that the code for the key may no longer be valid. If this is the case, the new key will have to be cut manually by a locksmith or you may have to change the ignition again. In this scenario, the dealer can’t be of help.
Q: Can I get a Kia Niro key replacement by VIN?
A: That depends on the year of your model and the type of key you had.
The VIN allows the dealer or an automotive locksmith access to the key code on file, i.e. they can cut you a replacement key by code which makes the process very fast and easy. You must, however, consider two things:
- For Kia models that are older than 10 years: There are no codes available. Therefore, an automotive locksmith is your only option to get a replacement key.
- For Kia Niro models that are equipped with a transponder system and/or remote/ intelligent key/ fob key: Codes are available. However, programming is necessary and therefore you will have to either tow the car to the dealer or have an automotive locksmith come and program the key on site.
Kia Niro key programming – which keys you can program yourself, which keys require programming tools & more
The Kia has different types of keys. Some require programming and some do not. All transponder chip keys and/or smart key fobs need to be programmed with a special programming machine that only an automotive locksmith or the dealer has. There is no need to program non-transponder metal keys.
To keep things simple, we divide all Kia keys into two categories:
- No programming needed (Non-transponder keys)
- Keys that needs to be programmed, which means you will need an automotive locksmith or the dealer (transponder or remote keys)
No Programming needed:
Kia Niro non-transponder keys are metal keys that have no chip in them and therefore no programming is needed:
Kia Niro keys that need to be programmed and you will need an automotive locksmith or the dealer:
Keys in this category, such as remote smart keys, intelligent keys or key fobs, as well as transponder keys, have a security chip in them, which requires programming. A special machine is needed to program them and so you will need an automotive locksmith or dealer to do it for you. (Usually for models manufactured after 2008)
Keyless entry information for the Kia Niro:
No available keyless entry for this model.
Call Us Now: 800-223-1453
Or get a key online from Amazon: