Thank You for Choosing Lost Land Rover Keys Replacement For All Your Land Rover Car Keys, Remotes, Fobs, Push to Start Buttons Replacement & Ignition Problems.
Give Us a Call 24/7 For All Land Rover Lost Car Keys Replacement!
Call Us Now: 800-223-1453
We specialize in making replacement car keys for Land Rover when you don’t have a spare or need a key-fob, Ignition repair, replaced and more.
Quick access: click to get an answer!
Land Rover keys replacement near me – Things to remember before calling a locksmith or dealer
Calling an automotive locksmith or a dealer near your location when you need a key replacement is probably the most common thing to do. Based on your location, an automotive locksmith can come to you, or you may choose to tow the car to the dealer.
We outline a few points to remember, to help you save some time and money regardless of which option you choose:
- First, always ask for a quote. Describe the problem in detail and give the automotive locksmith all the details, even if you think they may not be relevant. Moreover, If the locksmith has all the details, it can speed up the process and make it more cost-effective. Remember to give them your exact location to prevent a long waiting period. It may also affect the price.
- In addition, tell the locksmith/dealer if the ignition was changed before, as far as you know. A previous ignition change may result in different keys for the ignition and doors.
- Most Land Rover models today are equipped with chips or transponders, so make sure you mention the exact year, make and model and ask the locksmith if they have the necessary tools in their truck to code the key. Not all locksmiths have a key coding machine to program those keys.
- In addition, it’s important to have the VIN number available as the locksmith may need it.
- Finally, remember that for most Land Rover models, there is no need to tow the car to the dealer should you lose your car keys. You can try and call the AAA, or an automotive locksmith who should be able to make you a new car key on site.
What you should do when your Land Rover car key is lost and how to get a replacement:
- First, Make sure you don’t have a spare key. Many of us put one away as a backup for when we lose our key. Take a deep breath and try to remember where it is. Need some ideas of where your key might be? Take a look at this blog post on how to find your lost Land Rover keys.
- In addition, if you decided to call an automotive locksmith, remember to provide the exact year, make and model, e.g “I lost my 2012 Land Rover Discovery car keys, I lost my 2009 Land Rover Defender smart key, I lost my 2008 Land Rover LR4 laser cut key” etc. This is important so the locksmith can check if he or she has the right key blank.
- Furthermore, remember to ask if the key needs to be programmed or coded, some models do – e.g., a replacement key for 2018 Land Rover Discovery will need to be programmed, while a 1997 Land Rover Range Rover won’t.
- If you think you need a new ignition switch/ lock cylinder, first make sure you don’t simply need a new key. Changing the ignition for Land Rover cars is more expensive than buying a replacement key and it will mean that you will have one key for the doors and another for the ignition.
- When calling a dealer to get a Land Rover replacement key, ask if you can pick up the new key yourself, or whether you have to tow the car there.
- In addition, if the key won’t turn in the ignition, mention if this is something that has happened for the first time or is an ongoing problem.
- Moreover, if you have previously changed the ignition cylinder, tell the locksmith or dealer as it may prevent them from cutting you a new key by code.
- Finally, make sure you have the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) of the car and relevant documents to show ownership of the car. The title certificate, registration papers, your ID and proof of insurance, etc.
FAQ Lost Land Rover Keys Replacement:
Q: Land Rover key replacement cost – How much does it cost to replace Land Rover key without the original? What is the average price?
A: In short, to replace a Land Rover key usually cost between $130-$500. It depends on a few factors:
- Type of key
- The year manufactured
- Time of day & your location
- Where you get a key replacement (Dealer, automotive locksmith, online etc)
- Availability of code to cut a new key
- Original ignition or not
The type of key you had and the year the car was manufactured are maybe the most important factors.(chip, intelligent fob, “push to start”, remote, regular “non-transponder” key). The newer the car is, the better security features the key had and therefore you can expect to pay more than $250 for a replacement key. Choose your Land Rover model(from the drop-down menu) and type of key you had for a more accurate price and information.
In addition, it depends on where you get a key replacement. The dealer, automotive locksmith or get it online. Click here to get a more detailed explanation.
The dealer usually charges about 10%-15% less than a locksmith would for the key. However, most chances you will have to tow the car there to program the new key or remote and therefore the total price is usually higher.
Furthermore, consider that if you are looking to have a locksmith to come out and make you a new key outside regular business hours, the price may go up.
Finally, in case your Land Rover ignition cylinder was changed before (usually with older cars), that probably means that the code for the key may not be useful and the key will have to be either cut manually by a locksmith or to change the ignition again which in this case the dealer can’t be of help.
Q: I Lost my 2014 Land Rover Range Rover key and have no spare or AAA. How can I replace it? Can you make a replacement Land Rover key on site or do I have to tow the car to the dealer?
A: Sure, an automotive locksmith for Land Rover cars can make a replacement key or fob on site. It is important to mention the year make and model as most of the time the key must be programmed.
Q: How long does it take to make a replacement key for a 2010 Land Rover LR2? I lost my original and have no spare. Do you offer automotive locksmith services for Land Rover cars?
A: Generally speaking, for a new Land Rover key, fob, remote or smart key, the process should take about one to two hours, depending on the year of manufacture and model of the car.
If codes are available, this process is even faster.
We offer 24/7 automotive locksmith services on site for Land Rover car keys and can help fast!
Q: How can I know if my Land Rover Defender 2014 key had a chip in it? I understand that chip keys need to be programmed?
A: A good rule of thumb is that a key that had a plastic cover at the top and/or the vehicle was manufactured after the year 2000 most likely had a chip in it.
Hence, if you’ve lost your Land Rover key and it had a chip in it, the key will have to be programmed/ coded on site in order to start the car.
An automotive locksmith for Land Rover keys replacement can do that on site. Alternatively, you can contact the dealer, but the car will have to be towed there.
Below, an example of the different type of Land Rover keys & remote “push to start button” fobs:
Fob car key – Fob remote “push to start” car key: Usually looks like some sort of remote. This fob car key has a chip and therefore will need to be programmed.
The next image is of a Land Rover key that has a transponder chip in it and therefore NEEDS to be coded. The chip is located inside the cover at the top.
The next image is of a Land Rover key that doesn’t contain a chip and therefore DOES NOT NEED to be coded. It’s a simple metal key.
Q: Can I get a Land Rover key replacement by VIN?
A: That depends on the year of manufacture of your car and the type of key you had.
The VIN gives Land Rover dealers or automotive locksmiths the option of accessing the key code on file – i.e., to cut you a replacement key by code which makes the process very fast and easy. There are however two things to consider:
- For vehicles older than 10 years: Land Rover dealers don’t keep a record for vehicles older than 10 years. An automotive locksmith is therefore your only option to get a replacement key.
- For vehicles equipped with a transponder system and/or a remote/intelligent key/fob key: Codes are available. However, as coding is required, you will have to either tow the car to the dealer, or have an automotive locksmith come and code the key on site.
For more information click here
Q: My 2011 Land Rover Velar ignition key won’t turn and my wheel is locked. What is the reason and can you change my ignition for me? What should I do? How can I get a new Land Rover ignition?
A: There are a number of reasons why the ignition key won’t turn. The key may be worn out, or jammed; the ignition may be rusty, or its wafers broken. An automotive locksmith for Land Rover cars can determine the reason on site and solve the problem. We can help you in this scenario.
Remember that losing your Land Rover ignition key does not mean that you have to change the ignition. In most cases, you won’t have to.
For more information please visit: My ignition key wont turn
Q: My 2014 Land Rover LR3 transponder key will not start the car. The battery is good, the lights are on and the radio works. What may be the reason?
A: There may be a few reasons why the key won’t start the car. A mechanical problem or key related problem. Please visit: My ignition key won’t start the car for more information.
Q: Can you explain why there is a difference in cost of replacement keys between Land Rover models? What would be the price for a newer model at the dealer VS an automotive locksmith?
A: The price for Land Rover key replacement varies according to the year of manufacture and the model. In the main, there are two different types of Land Rover keys when it comes to replacement key cost:
- Non-transponder chip key – there is no need to code the key.
- Transponder chip keys – the key needs to be coded.
Here’s an example of the price you can expect to pay for a key replacement:
Non-transponder replacement key cost –
From a Dealer –
If no coding is needed, you can call the dealer and have him cut you a new replacement key, which you can pick up at your convenience.
However, if the ignition was changed in the past, as may happen with older models, the codes the dealer has on file will not work and so the key won’t turn in the ignition.
It is also important to remember that the dealer only has codes on file for the original ignition and up to a certain year. If the car is too old, it may be difficult to get a replacement key from the dealer.
Estimated cost: Usually around $95 for a new key.
From an Automotive Locksmith:
A locksmith usually charges a service fee plus the cost of the parts and labor for a replacement key.
You can therefore expect to pay more than the dealer would charge. However, since the cost of a non-transponder chip key is minor, you shouldn’t pay much more than the dealer charge and you have the convenience of a solution at your location as many locksmiths offer a mobile service.
Estimated cost: Usually around $155.
Transponder chip / “push to start” / fob / remote Land Rover replacement key cost:
From a Dealer –
Keys of this type have to be coded in order to start the car and therefore the car will have to be towed to the dealership which will result in an additional cost.
The estimated cost for a transponder key: Usually around $170 for a new key.
An estimated cost for a remote key: Usually around $370 for a new key.
From an Automotive locksmith:
A locksmith usually charges a service fee plus the cost of the parts and labor for a replacement key so you can expect to pay more than the dealer would charge.
However, an automotive locksmith operating a mobile service can make the key on site and therefore save you time and money and the hassle of towing the car to the dealer.
The estimated cost for a transponder key: Usually around $270 for a new key.
An estimated cost for a remote key: Usually around $400 for a new key.
Q: I called my Land Rover dealer as I need a replacement key for my 1996 Land Rover Discovery. Unfortunately, they told me they can’t make me a replacement key as they don’t have the information on file. Can you explain why is that, where can I get a replacement key and how much should it cost?
A: Yes. Land Rover dealers, like other car brand dealer, use a code to cut a replacement key. These types of codes are available only for limited years, usually about 10 years or so.
Therefore, if your Land Rover model is older than ten years ago, you may have a problem of getting a replacement key from the dealer. In this case, an automotive locksmith would be your best option. The estimated cost should be around $135.
Q: Land Rover key cutting – Who can cut and program a new key for my car? Can I get it done at any hardware store or should I go to an automotive locksmith or dealer? What is the procedure and how much does it cost?
A: There are many different types of Land Rover keys. Some can be cut with a basic cutting machine (mostly for older models made before 2010) and some, such as laser cut keys, can only be cut with a more advanced machine, which not all locksmiths carry, and definitely not hardware stores. Therefore, you should do your research before you decide where to get your Land Rover key cut.
The next image is of a non-transponder key on a regular cutting machine:
In addition, there are a few things to consider:
First, you have to remember that cutting a new Land Rover key probably won’t be enough for you to start your vehicle as most Land Rover models made after 2005 requires coding in addition to cutting the key. Saying that, you will have to take care of coding the keys as well AFTER you had your key cut.
The next image is of a cut key(or key fob) and a programming machine for Land Rover Key:
Second, try to get the key code, which makes the process of cutting a new key very fast, from your dealer. They should be able to provide it for you after verification that you are the owner. Once you have this code, any locksmith should be able to cut you the key within minutes, and it would be cheaper as well.
How much should you expect to pay for cutting your Land Rover key? (Not including coding/programming)
Laser-cut keys or remote emergency keys – About $50 if you have the key code. (If not about $80)
Regular key, transponder keys – about $20 if you have the key code. (If not about $50)
Land Rover key fob battery replacement – Cost, size, what do to when the battery is dead and more.
Most of Land Rover models made after 2008 use a key fob, or a push to start remote key technology. This type of key has advanced security features, as well as built-in keyless entry and more.
This type of key fob is battery operated. Once in a while, there are some issues with the key fob because of this battery. We will go over some important information and a few tips about what to do when the battery is dead, how to change the battery, cost, and some technical information.
Most Land Rover models key fobs use the same battery which is CR2032. This battery is very common and you can find it in most hardware stores, AutoZone, locksmith shop and online. You can order it here.
Here is an example of a Lexus key fob battery replacement.
Before we get into some specific information, here is some useful information you must know:
First, if you are locked out of your car because the key fob battery is dead you can use the emergency key provided with the key to unlock the car door.
In addition, if you want to start your vehicle, you can do it by placing the key fob in the charging area once you are in the car. This way, you will be able to start your vehicle EVEN if the battery is dead. If you are not sure where is the designated charging area, you should check the owner’s manual.
Finally, let the key fob charge until you get to a place when you can replace the key fob battery.
Price of Lexus key fob battery: Usually less than $6
We also recommend getting a cover or a case for the key fob to keep it in better condition. Land Rover key fob cover/case cost about $15-$20 and definitely worth the price. You can order it online here
Technical information: (Click for more information from Panasonic)
Land Rover key fob battery replacement:
The process of replacing the key fob battery is very simple. You can use a small flat head screwdriver to disassemble the key fob. Then simply take the old battery and replace it with a new one. If you would like to watch a short video can you do it here.
After replacing the key fob battery, there is no need to do any special programming. The key fob should work as usual.
However, if you just bought a new key fob, you will need to have it programmed to start the car. This can be done by an automotive locksmith or the dealership.
Give Us a Call 24/7 For All Land Rover Lost Car Keys Replacement!
Call Us Now: 800-223-1453